Commercial washing machines and tumble dryers have evolved significantly over the years, with lots of technological improvements aimed at increasing speed, boosting energy efficiency, improving operator usability, and saving water.
But of all the innovations that have transformed how professional laundries operate, which technologies have had the biggest impact, changing how we wash and dry garments in commercial settings forever?
To find out, we’re taking a look at some of the most influential advancements in commercial laundry technology – from electronic display programs to automatic dosing systems.
Electronic display programs and settings
Gone are the days when professional washing machines were covered in hard-to-decipher dials and rows of poorly labelled buttons. Now, electronic touch-screen display modules allow operators to start and stop cycles in a couple of taps, all while adjusting key settings like spin speed, temperature and delay-start timers.
The arrival of touch-screen technology in commercial laundry equipment has had a multi-fold benefit, allowing for faster operation, reduced staff training requirements, and a smaller risk of operator error. Plus, they also make it much easier to adjust cycle times and other settings on the fly, which can, in turn, help to save water and energy.
Compare a commercial washer of yesteryear to its modern-day counterpart, and we think you’ll be surprised just how far things have come. Modern machines are built with operators in mind, displaying a range of ergonomic advancements that make them easier to manage and live with day to day. This includes features like:
- Easy-to-open handles, doors, compartments and locks
- Larger doors to speed up the loading and unloading process
- The overall size of the machine and where its key settings are located
Thanks to new controls and sensors, we can cut water usage down to extremely low levels. This is a key factor in improving operating costs and reducing the environmental impact of professional washing machines.
Dosing and chemical usage
Dosing a commercial washing machine correctly with the appropriate detergents and chemicals used to be a time-consuming process. Now, however, thanks to the latest in auto-dosing technology, operators can dose an appliance quickly and efficiently without worrying about quantities and wattage.
Auto-dosing brings with it a range of benefits, including:
- Prevents blockages in your machine
- Removes the wastage that can come from user error or spillages
- Accurately, automatically dispenses the correct dose of detergent – no mess or wasteful spillage
- Protects staff – no need to manually handle or pour potentially hazardous substances
Remote monitoring like JLA Connect lets us keep an eye on your compatible washers and commercial dryers – spotting issues early and sorting things quickly. With the accurate data we’re collecting, we know when to send an engineer and can arm them with parts and diagnostics before they arrive on site.
Connected assets like these can bring a wealth of benefits to the table, including:
- Minimise downtime with our expert monitoring and proactive care
- Improve laundry performance and machine efficiency through real-time usage data and energy bill estimates
- Reduce your environmental impact by monitoring estimated CO2 emissions and seeing the best time to use your appliances
So, there you have it, a whistle-stop tour of some of the most impactful advancements in commercial laundry technology. Ready to update your professional laundry facility? Contact JLA Today.